Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Leaves! New! & News

Or…I’m turning over a new leaf?

In honor of my new and beautiful website launching sometime soon (within the next week!), which in itself is in honor of art market, I’m going to start posting again. It’s exactly the kick in the butt I need to make some time for my internet self.

In news this week:

I was nominated for and have been honored with a Barbara L. Kuhlman Foundation scholarship for the study of fiber arts.

I’ve been asked to participate in a small and brief but exciting exhibition of student work in honor of the Warren Seelig exhibition here at MICA. Thursday, December 3- Saturday, December 5, Middendorf Gallery.

I will be selling my work starting next Wednesday, December 9th in MICAs Brown Center. You can find out more about that event here: Art Market

Check back for updates of my recent work, etc. etc.

Advertisements

Woven Bookmarks

Woven Bookmarks

This year I decided to actually get off my butt and participate in MICA’s annual Art Market doing what I do best- weaving! These little hand woven bookmarkets make for a perfect and unique Christmas gift, so if you’re around Baltimore Dec. 9-12 (I’ll remind everyone again as the date gets closer) you should stop by and pick one up for your favorite bookworm and art lover. The best thing is they’re made mostly from eco-friendly fibers and recycled fabrics, making sustainable cloth look super classy.

This silly fish print fabric made that bookmark!

This silly fish print fabric made that bookmark!

I have quite a few, so anything left over will probably go on etsy, and keep a look out in the coming months for more hand woven awesomeness from yours truly.

handwoven bookmarks

Costume: Distressing

Costume2-1

Costume2-2

Costume2-3

This costume was made using purchased pieces from a thrift store. The clothes were altered and aged using dye baths, sandpaper, and acrylic paint to describe a character.

Sample: Supplementary Weft

mrsample4

Suplementary weft: to add in weft separate from or in addition to the given weft. As you can see, in the weaving above I have alternately supplemented the weft of the tabby (far right), the actual weave structure, both simutaneously (the middle section), and in place of the weft (the bright green to the left of the photograph is woven without interruption of the regular weft, forcing the regular shots of plain weave to curve slightly around the shape after I completed the shape and resume regular shots of plain weave…easier done than said). This sample is for a much larger piece that I’m hoping to complete, the proposal for which was e-mailed out earlier this evening. So, more details to come. For now, enjoy the layers of color, pattern, and structural interruptions:

mrsample3

mrsample1

mrsample2

Front and Back View

Front and Back View

Detail- Apron Pockets

Detail- Apron Pockets

Detail- Handwoven Belt and Apron Attached by Buttons

Detail- Handwoven Belt and Apron Attached by Buttons

More about this costume here.

Finished Costume Sketch

Costume Sketch with Fabric Swatches and Button Design

Costume Sketch with Fabric Swatches and Button Design

Here are the completed sketches for my Russian folktale costume design. To tell you a bit about the design: each element is inspired by a piece of traditional Ukrainian or Russian costume. I was really interested in working with pattern (check out the home furnishing fabric which was once used to upholster a couch I sat on as a little girl) so I decided to trade in the intricate embroidery for pattern overload. The shape and style of the dress is an updated/ modern take on the details and layering of a traditional Ukrainian woman’s garments: the drawstring is replaced by a pleated neck, the cut of the dress and differentiation between the body of the dress and the shoulders was taken from a layering of blouse and overcoat, the apron relates to the story (the pockets as a means of storage during a journey) and references the apron that was once worn to cover the opening of a warp-around skirt. I am opting to hand-weave the belt that attaches to the apron (via the most perfect buttons- they reminded me of patterns I saw in my Russian folktale/rituals class) as a tribute to the many references to weaving in the story and throughout Russian folklore and history, as well as to add my own personal flare to the costume. This past week I completed the mock-up of the costume (which I still can’t believe I actually pulled off) and coming up is the real thing. And trust me, there will be plenty of pictures.

Attack of the Frogs!

After spending thirty minutes at Sav-A-Lot standing in line trying to buy pancake mix, syrup, and two cans of spaghettios (seriously, half an hour), I knew I didn’t have the strength to start putting together the mock-up for next week’s costume right away. I am damn terrified of that project (having never made human-sized clothes before). So, to help myself feel better by getting a little organized, I made myself this handy (and freaking adorable) zippered bag to house my sewing kit. Look at those frogs; they are so, so excited to get sewing. More excited than I am. Maybe when I’m asleep at night the frogs will come to life and do my costume design work for me. Probably not.

sewing kit

sewing kit 2

sewing kit inside